When I moved to the west coast, I found the traditional beef and bean chili really heavy. I did some perusing of the internet, and found the perfect west coast white chicken chili recipe. I have tweaked the ingredients to suit my taste, but this is one your family won’t get enough of. My family loves it!
West Coast White Chicken Chili
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Serves: 5 (1-cup) servings
1 (16 ounce) canned white beans
1 large onion, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon Tabasco
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 (4 ounce) cans whole mild green chilies, drained and chopped
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil to cook chicken
1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil olive to cook onions
1. Preheat a large skillet over moderately high heat and add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of oil. Meanwhile coat your chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the skillet and brown on both sides (about three minutes on each side)
2. Remove the chicken from the skillet, and let cool. While waiting for chicken to cool, coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and butter (1 tablespoon). Heat the skillet on medium high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onions and stir to coat. Reduce the heat to medium. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally.
3. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it with your fingers and set aside.
4. In a large pot melt remaining 6 tbsp of butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook the roux, whisk for three minutes. Stir in the onion and gradually add the broth and half and half, while whisking. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Stir in tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add beans, chilies and chicken, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with your choice of cilantro, cheese, jalapenos, tomatoes or crackers.
Have you ever tried west coast white chicken chili? Tell us what you think!