November is National Diabetes Awareness Month. Did you know that Type II diabetes – a preventable disease affects 25.8 million children and adults in the U.S.? I am amazed that many people still don’t know that Type II diabetes can be prevented by adopting a healthier lifestyle and making changes to your diet. Not long ago I was one of the many uneducated people not interested in the risks for developing diabetes.
Although I have seen in my family the effects of diabetes, I didn’t consider it a serious matter. Even though I knew by having a family history of diabetes, I was more risk for developing diabetes, I ignored the warning signs. I convinced myself it was just an old persons disease and eventually you get it as you age. When I developed diabetes I continued to eat plenty of junk food and refused to exercise. I figured as long as I took my medicine everything would be good. Since then I have learned that medicine alone does not work.
A few years ago, after working to control my blood sugar with pills, my doctor told me it was time to start insulin. This was my wake up call! I couldn’t believe that I had let it get this far. I pleaded with my doctor to give me more time and explained that I hadn’t been doing what we had agreed on, during my previous visit. To my surprise my doctor set me up with a nutrtionist and we agreed to a new diet and exercise program for 3 months, before making any changes.
After 3 months of taking diabetes pills regularly, sticking to an exercise routine and diet my blood sugar improved and a A1C test confirmed it was controlled. I still have a long way to go, but am very happy that insulin is off the table and I challenge myself daily by making better choices and caring for my body.
Healthier Alternatives for Recipes
One of the things I struggled with when I first started to change my diet was good tasting food. It took some trial and error, but now I hardly notice the difference in taste of many of my favorite recipes. The good news is that there are products such as Crystal Farms® Better’n Eggs ® and AllWhites®, that can help individuals live with and prevent Type 2 diabetes.
Crystal Farms® Better’n Eggs ® and AllWhites® are fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low-calorie alternatives to shell eggs
- Both products are made from real eggs
- AllWhites is 100% liquid egg whites, nothing added
- Better’n Eggs is 98% liquid egg whites, plus 2% vitamins and minerals
- Both products have half the calories of shell eggs (25 calories per serving)
- Because they are fat-free, cholesterol-free and low-calorie, both products allow those with diabetes or those trying to prevent diabetes to enjoy eggs without having to sacrifice other foods they love (i.e.: they can have cheese with their eggs rather than plain eggs)
- Egg whites can increase recovery time from hypoglycemia by building up adrenal glands
Crystal Farms® Better’n Eggs® and AllWhites® are convenient sources of lean, high-quality protein
- Lean protein can help balance a diabetic diet while controlling hunger and blood sugar levels
- Lean protein helps you feel full longer, which helps with weight loss
- Protein keeps you energized during workouts
Crystal Farms® Better’n Eggs® and AllWhites® can be used in any recipe that calls for eggs and are very convenient and versatile
- Products do not include any added flavorings, so they won’t alter the taste of your favorite recipes or egg dishes
- Products are pasteurized fresh egg whites, therefore they can be eaten raw (i.e.: in smoothies, cookie dough)
- Both Better’n Eggs® and AllWhites® come in easy-to-pour, no-mess cartons
Healthier Alternatives for Breakfeast
I usually have a bowl of cereal or skip breakfeast all together, during the week. So when I found this breakfast sandwich recipe I was thrilled.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Better’n Eggs®
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Crystal Farms® Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split
1. Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add Better’n Eggs and stir in hot pepper sauce. As Better’n Eggs start to set use spatula to lift edge of eggs, letting uncooked eggs flow to bottom of skillet. Cook until Better’n Eggs are set but still moist. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and then fold over the Better’n Eggs so cheese melts in the middle.
2. Place turkey bacon on microwave safe plate. Cover with paper towel. Microwave on HIGH 30 to 40 seconds or until warmed.
3. Toast each half English muffin in toaster. Spoon about 1/2 cup Better’n Eggs mixture on top of 4 toasted muffins. Top each with 1 piece cooked bacon. Top with remaining toasted muffins.
Better’n Eggs Twitter Party
Come join the #betterneggs Twitter party with Bob Greene on Wednesday, November 16th from 8-10pm EST! Learn how you can prevent diabetes, or how you can manage it if your living with it today. Find out more about the Better’n Eggs Twitter Party and join the Fight2Fit Type II Diabetes Campaign in support of Diabetes Prevention!
This post has been compensated as part of a campaign for Global Influence. Opinions are my own and NOT influenced by any compensation.