Talking to Your Daughter Before She Gets Her Period

U by Kotex Tween Pads

It’s very important for parents to talk with their daughters about getting their period — even if their daughters don’t want to talk. No one wants to get a surprise at school in the middle of P.E. class. It’s no fun when you have an Uh-oh my period is here moment — what do I do now? In fact it can be downright embarrassing when the entire class is around. Fortunately this never happened to me, but a few friends of mine weren’t so lucky.

No one prepared them for that time in a girls life when her period comes. Their parents were too embarrassed to talk to them, which opened the door for some not so funny embarrassing situations. The most memorable was the P.E. class incident where one of the boys noticed a stain, and broadcasted it to the entire gym. If you’ve ever gone through a situation like this, then you know firsthand how difficult it can be returning to school the next day. Eventually, the teasing stops, but it’s still a horrible way to start off the school year.

So as parents how can we help avoid situations like the one above? Do what my mom did. It’s really simple, have “the talk” with your daughter sooner than later!

When I was growing up my parents always kept an open dialogue. We were encouraged to share our thoughts, opinions and to always ask questions. My parents prepared us for any and every topic they could think of, so that we wouldn’t go looking for answers in the wrong places. When it was time for “the talk”, we didn’t have a women’s only day to celebrate my womanhood (remember the episode when Rudy starts her period on The Cosby Show), we just talked. In fact we talked for hours. My mom shared stories of her first period, the types of products (Kotex) they used when she was growing and a number of interesting stories about my aunties, and their embarrassing moments. It was a day I will never forget that was both fun, and educational.

Those talks really helped. By the time I had to sit through that boring week of school, when you talk about puberty, I already knew what to expect and wasn’t embarrassed like some of the other kids in my class. These talks also inspired me to create an honest and open dialogue, that is age appropriate with my children. So by the time I had to have the period talk with my oldest, I was well prepared. And so was she.

As parents we want to be the ones to educate our children, but if you are uncomfortable let someone who isn’t step in. Remember that it’s never too early to talk to your daughters about their period, but it can certainly be too late. Keep in mind different messages resonate different with different kids, so always keep the communication lines open.

KotexMom

Over the next few months, as a U by Kotex Tween Ambassador I will be sharing information to help you prepare for your daughters first period. Visit helloperiod for information and tips; it is filled with helpful information for tweens and teens.

Do you think your daughter is too young to have the period talk? You may be wrong.

I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of U by Kotex Tween and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.

About Cuzinlogic

Cuzinlogic is a lifestyle blog full of things we love including family, recipes, books, and everything in between. We are firm believers in "sharing what you know" - so that's why we love sharing tips, ideas and the latest and greatest products that make life easier amidst the craziness of everyday life.

Comments

1. Marthalynn says:

This was so helpful! I think it is good to have that “talk” early with our daughters. It might be a little uncomfortable at first, but it’s much better than the alternative! Thanks for the good info.

2. Start talking early…my daughter started in 2nd grade! no joke! Great post & reminder as mothers. :)

3. Natalie Z says:

Someday I am thankful for 3 boys, but I will pass the message to my sister-in-law :)

4. Kristen Jeffery says:

Good ideas! Thanks!

5. I’m so thankful my oldest two are boys.lol I’m not ready for this yet with my daughter this information was great to know.

6. I got mine SUPER early, like 11. My mom talked to me about it young though, and we were a very open family, so I never had any worries.

7. My mom started talking to me at a very young age- I think I was 10 or so. I did get my period super early at 11 though. We are also a very open family!

8. Crystal @ FurKid Fosters says:

Thanks for this. My daughter is 9 and this is a talk we will need to have soon!

9. We’re getting closer to this time. Thanks for the tips on what to be ready for!

10. Jennifer Lusher says:

More moms need to do this so there little girls aren’t freaked out when it happens like I was when I was little

11. Stephanie Hungerford says:

I feel this would have been very helpful for a lot of my friends mothers when I was younger. Heck even as an adult I go to a pretty conservative church and so many parents are to scared to talk to there children about women’s health issues. My mom talked to me when I was 8 years old, so when I turned 10 she bought pads that were kept on a shelf in the basement so that when I started I would have every thing that I needed. She was very open so I was lucky not to have to have those embarrassing moments. At 12 when I started she was out on a date with my father so I just took care of everything. I was in bed a sleep when she came home. The next morning was when I told her this was so great because I wasn’t scared at all. I did have another girl in my Junior High that wasn’t so prepared and she ran out of the school thinking she was going to die. She had to talk with the Male health teacher and then a friendly female teacher. It would have ben a lot better for her had she been talked to when she was younger and prepared

12. I don’t have any kids right now, but I know when I do, if I have a girl, I am probably going to dread talking about it; But it’s definitely something I’ll do, as it’s important not to scare them with the whole situation.

13. I’m remembering and appreciating the talks I had with my Mother and realize the importance of regular discussions before the first event.

14. Joshua Lanham says:

Do not have children yet, but I do not understand why things are so taboo and uncomfortable to talk about with children. Without education of things that happen in life, sex, periods, bodily functions, ect, our children will only be forced to make mistakes because they are not armed with the knowledge to handle situations and new experiences.

15. I honestly cannot remember if I really knew much about my period when it first hit me. I remember I was pretty young. It was I believe the summer before 4th grade and my aunt took me, my sister and older cousin to Six Flags when it all started. I was embarrassed didn’t know what to say and I was teased mercilessly by my teenage male cousin.

16. Lou Glover says:

Talk to them when they are young so they will be prepared.

17. Pamela Roundy says:

I’m past this stage in my life but I’m passing this info on for my granddaughters.

18. I will be sure to talk to my daughters, I know it can be scary if your not prepared

19. Jessica says:

I don’t have any kids, but I can imagine how difficult it would be to explain, because I remember being scared to death.

20. Kathy Ross says:

I wish my mom could have felt more comfortable talking to me about things when I was young. But oh well. It was like that back then. I think your article is great. Too bad I didn’t have any girls!

21. Carrie Phelps says:

It seems with each generation this jewel arrives earlier & earlier. Perhaps it’s never too early!

22. Debbie Welchert says:

Oh my gosh, my mother never had the talk with me and I was terrified when it started at school. I had to learn about it all on my own. Now my daughter had a very different experience. I made sure she wasn’t afraid to ask questions and when she did get hers, it wasn’t a bad experience at all.

23. crystal lane says:

well my girls are always in the bathroom with me so they ask alot of questions and when my 13yr old started the only thing she was worried about was getting mad fun of by my nephew

24. Wendi Scharrer says:

Keeping an age appropriate open dialogue with your children is so important. They should hear the truth from you, they will know what to really expect.

25. Amy Orvin says:

I remember when I was that age and I promised my mom I would never start. I vowed to be different. Man, That was stupid.

2dogs5catscrew@att.net

26. Trasina McGahey says:

I remember when I explained things to my oldest daughter and she called me a liar. LOL!!