Mexican cuisine is delicious and relatively simple to make at home. Most of the ingredients are flavorful foods that you can easily find in your local grocery store for a pretty good deal. If you are looking for Mexican meals to make at home browse online recipes, like the ones below, to find tasty, cost-effective Mexican recipes that you can make in your own kitchen.
- Use this list of budget friendly meal recipes to plan your cooking for the entire week. All recipes cost less than $4.50 per serving – much less than you would pay at a restaurant! The trick is smaller servings of meat, which costs less and is better for you.
- Huevos Rancheros, or Ranch Eggs, is a classic Mexican recipe with simple, cheap ingredients that can easily serve as a breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Traditional Huevos Rancheros is made with fried eggs served on warmed or fried corn tortillas and topped with salsa, and it is often accompanied with refried beans, rice, and/or guacamole. To change it up, try a variation on the classic recipe, like Huevos Rancheros Verde.
- Rice and beans are always good side dishes for Mexican meals, and both are very frugal and easy. If you want a side dish that packs a little more punch, try a Simple Mexican Salad. This recipe includes cucumbers and oranges seasoned with lemon, lime, chili powder, and salt. Best of all, each serving costs only $0.54.
- Mexican desserts aren’t always difficult to prepare, like flan or tres leches cake. If you don’t have the time or budget, not to mention the calories, for these kinds of desserts, opt for corn puddings. The ingredients are common and inexpensive, and the preparation is simple.
- If you don’t have the budget for some of the more expensive ingredients in Mexican recipes you want to try, like prosciutto in the Arugula and Prosciutto Pizza mentioned above, substitute something else, like salami or pepperoni. Mexican food tends to be very forgiving for substitutions.
- Remember to buy beans and rice in bulk. They are much cheaper when bought in large quantities, and since they are relatively easy to store, the size is worth the savings.
- There are thousands upon thousands of frugal Mexican recipe websites, so there is no need to buy a cookbook or take the time to visit a library to find one. All the information you need is available online.
Mexican food can be as tasty as it is frugal. Use the recipes above or find your own online to stretch your dollar by making delicious Mexican cuisine for your family.
What are some of your favorite Mexican Meals to Make at Home?