Homemade Strawberry Applesauce Recipe

I love apples! I think just about everyone that knows me, knows that I usually have an apple for my afternoon snack. I always have apples in my refrigerator, but when my grandma stopped by with a bag of imperfect apples I knew there was no way I could finish them all before they went bad. Some were a little bruised, but none were rotten. So I grabbed some strawberries out of the refrigerator and decided to give homemade strawberry applesauce a try.

Homemade Strawberry Applesauce Recipe

My mom always made homemade applesauce when I was growing up. Our neighbor had an apple tree, so we always had plenty of apples available. I’m almost positive that that’s when my love for apples and applesauce started. But what I didn’t know is how easy it is to make homemade applesauce. And it’s just as easy to make homemade Strawberry applesauce.

Homemade Strawberry Applesauce Recipe

You can use any apple – there are so many different varieties but it’s best to choose apples that are naturally sweet, like Cortland, Honey Crisp, Gala, Fuji or McIntosh.

Homemade Strawberry Applesauce Recipe

Homemade Strawberry Applesauce

Ingredients:
10 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
10 to 12 strawberries, stemmed and sliced
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)

Directions

1. In a large pot, bring apples, strawberries, lemon juice and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until fruit is tender when poked with a fork, about 20 minutes.

2. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.

3. Purée in blender or food processor until smooth and desired consistency is achieved.

4. Pour applesauce into a container and serve warm or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Homemade Strawberry Applesauce Recipe

Homemade Strawberry Applesauce Tips

• Use a combination of apples – not just one type. Honey Crisp, Cortland and McIntosh apples are great choices.
  • Use a apple corer to cut the apples to save a step..
  • The amount of strawberries depends on whether you want your applesauce to have a strong strawberry flavor or a subtle one. .
  • Sweeten to taste if needed. I chose not to, but if you do chose to use sugar, honey or something else add it while the applesauce is still warm.
  • For a delicious variation, add raspberries along with the apples and strawberries.
  • Keep the skins on the apples for nutritional value and fiber.

After trying this recipe, it’s safe to say that I will be making it again soon.

Catherine is a self-proclaimed "organization junkie" living in Los Angeles. She blogs about family, entertainment, food and anything else that pops into her mind.

Comments

1. joe hawkshaw says:

Wow that looks very delicious.

2. Sherri Lewis says:

You just brought back memories of going to my Grandma’s house on Sundays and one of the things she always fixed was homemade applesauce…..

• Cuzinlogic says:

I love going to my Grandmas house for Sunday dinner. We don’t do it as often, but those memories are some of my best.
      ~CL

3. This looks and sounds absolutely delicious. I’ve always loved the strawberry applesauce by Mott’s, but I bet this is even better.

4. Looks delicious! I’d love to try yours :)

5. Vera Machado says:

Looks delicious! :D

6. Stephanie says:

My kids don’t like he applesauce texture, wonder if they’d at it since they love strawberries.

• Cuzinlogic says:

You should give it a try. Sometimes kids will try something they don’t like if it’s a flavor they like. If you decide to give it a try cut the recipe in half, so you don’t waste food.
      ~CL

7. Mary Preston says:

What do you eat with the sauce? Is it like a pie filling? I’ve never heard of it before, but it would be delicious.

• Cuzinlogic says:

We usually eat it as a snack by itself or add it to oatmeal. The kids also eat it as a side with lunch. Instead of fries with their turkey burger they have applesauce. It’s just like regular applesauce, but with strawberry flavor.
      ~CL

8. I never thought of putting both of these together! It sounds really good!

9. DOrothy Teel says:

This sounds great, I used to make cinnamon applesauce with the red hots candy, but never made applesauce from scratch, but this does sound great even with the raspberries..

• Cuzinlogic says:

My husband loves red hots, so I’ll have to try it one day. Homemade applesauce is hands down the best way to go!
      ~CL

10. Wow that looks tasty.

11. I;m drooling right now just looking at those pics! Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

12. Looks fun to make

13. That looks super yummy! I never realized that it is so easy to make applesauce and now since you have shared this wonderful recipe I am going to have to try to make this for my family! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe.