3 Steps to a Healthier You

Did you know March is National Nutrition Month? Among all of the other great things to celebrate this month, we get to also celebrate ourselves and being healthier and more nutritional in our everyday lives. Here are three steps that can make you happier and healthier right now to get March started off the right way for you.

3 Steps to a Healthier You

Make a meal plan

Meal planning helps you save money and time, and it can make you less stressed and healthier, too. Gather up the materials you need to make your meal plan a success, figure out what meal plan works best for you, and make it happen! It’s truly that easy and simple. You can start today by making a meal plan for tomorrow out of the things you have lying around in the refrigerator and your pantry, and then make future meal plans based off of a diet or nutrition plan you wish to follow.

Drink more water

You hate drinking water, but you know you have to do it. It doesn’t have to be a chore, though. You can flavor it with fruits, drink flavoring packets, and even splashes of juice, or you can buy it already flavored. Start today by drinking just three extra cups of water than you did yesterday. That may sound like a lot, but check this out- one cup is only eight ounces! Try drinking just eight ounces of water before each meal to help you digest food better, fell fuller, and get in more water.

Eat more fruit

Fruit has natural sugars, which can help boost your metabolism naturally. Add in a serving of fruit with breakfast, one with lunch, and one with a daily snack. That is three daily servings that can help bump up your energy levels and knock off some weight. A serving of fruit is a small apple, a medium banana, or two kiwis. It’s really simple to incorporate these into your diet and they make a huge difference in your overall health.

Have you take some steps to get healthier this year? What strategies have you planned to help you achieve them? Tell us about them in the comments below!

Catherine is a self-proclaimed "organization junkie" living in Los Angeles. She blogs about family, entertainment, food and anything else that pops into her mind.

Comments

1. These are very good tips.

I need to drink more water most of all!

2. I’m a full backer of the meal plan. I’m an affiliate with eMeals, which I LOVE. The clean eating meal plan is now one of the most popular, which is GREAT!

3. I drink so much water that I slosh sometimes, although I could use a meal plan. I may stick to a diet better if I had one.

4. I would love to be able to do any of these, but on my hectic schedule and workload, I’m lucky if I eat at all, let alone have time to make a plan!

5. Great tips! I need to follow these better, especially the drinking more water part! And I could totally do better with meal planning too!

6. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I think the benefits of drinking water are underestimated by way too many people. It’s so good for us and this day in age, if people don’t like the taste, there are all sorts of sweeteners.

7. I try to drink more water and when the weather is nice I take the kids for a walk. Have a great day!!

8. I am working on drinking more water. I hate the taste of water.

9. Terin Garrett says:

I’ve been trying really hard to drink more water and eat healthier! So far I haven’t done so bad!

10. I try to do all of these things, especially drink plenty of water. It makes a huge difference!

11. Getting fit is a big 2014 goal for me. I’ve been tracking my steps and calories with mobile apps to keep myself accountable!

12. I need to do ALL of these! I have been slacking big time. I love fruit but am not the biggest water drinker. I need to remember to drink a few glasses a day.

13. drink more water. I may float away. i’m good w water. it’s the chocolate and exercise (lack of) that I need to work on!

14. Great ideas! I have been trying to drink more water.

15. These are such simple and helpful tips. I follow them, but have several friends and family members that do not. I am so picky about what goes into my body, but many folks are just not! I don’t get it.

16. Yes! Drinking tons of water is definitely helpful. I keep a water bottle by my side at all times.

17. I’ve found I eat a lot better when I meal plan. It’s also cheaper! I keep a big glass beside me all day so I can keep drinking water.

18. I didn’t know that March is National Nutrition Month! These are some great tips.

19. Awesome post! I need to incorporate all of these!

20. Amy Desrosiers says:

As long as I have my lemon and ice, I can drink lots and lots of water throughout the day!! I love fruits as well, and am currently enjoying some strawberries.

21. I’m definitely working on drinking more water. It’s not always what I want, but it’s good for me!

22. Water is my diet go to. Im drinking all the time. lol

23. You know, I had NO idea that March was national nutrition month but I am eating healthier anyway! I have a hard time getting enough fruit into my diet, so I have been making a 100% fruit smoothie (with no sugar added fruit juice) every morning!

24. There are a lot of people who really want to get fit. However, getting fit and healthy is not that easy. It will take great amount of commitment, hard work, and motivation to achieve your ideal weight and keep it that way. The tips you mentioned are really basic and yet, people still fail to observe them.

25. Such simple steps, but SOO important. I swear that a Meal Plan can make or break you ,especially if you are trying to lose weight.

26. Jenni E. {Sweet Pennies from Heaven} says:

I had no idea that March was National Nutrition Month. I’m actually fighting with my son this week to eat something other than peanut butter sandwiches. I think I’m winning. ;)

27. My bf & I really need to get on the meal planning bandwagon here. We usually buy the same things when we shop and then make mostly the same things every week, but for the sake of branching out and saving money at the same time, we definitely need to start meal planning so I can cook some more new things!

28. I absolutely love fruit and water, so that’s easy for me. I love veggies too (raw ones more than cooked). My downfall is bread and/or cheese. I have a hard time passing on a serving if either is on the table. :)

29. it really is that simple. I would need to add eat more veggies. I know I don’t eat as many as I should.

30. Janeane Davis says:

I learned the hard way how important all of these things are. Hopefully you can get some of your readers on the right track before an emergency makes it necessary.

31. I find it’s way easier for me to snack on fruit if I cut it all up and have it nice and ready. I love fruit!

32. Eliz Frank says:

I love fruit but tend to cut back in the winter… I’ve made a better attempt this year… Thanks for the reminder.

33. My husband and I started making meal plans last year and we’ve both dropped a few pounds. We really need to start drinking more water though.

34. Water really helped me but a meal plan was the best! I lost 60lbs by preparing portion controlled meals that were ready to go the second I got hungry! It made it a lot easier not to snack on junk food!

35. Meal planning is one of the best ways to eat healthy foods. It’s tempting to eat convenience foods that aren’t so good for you. Preparing your own meals and knowing exactly what’s in them helps keep your weight under control.

36. Those are three great tips! I need to get better about drinking water. I always feel better when I’m hydrated!

37. Thanks for the great tips! I’m actually making our meal plans for the rest of March right now

38. We have been drinking more water later and are working on the other things as well. We definitely are trying to live a healthier lifestyle.

39. I’ve been doing well at meal planning, but I really need to work on my water intake.