5 Easy Ways to Make Your Family a Little More Green

If your goal is to get to a greener state of being this year, you’re in luck because many people are headed in that direction. If you are new to being green and don’t know where to start, check out these tips on easy ways to go green at home.

5 Easy Ways to Make Your Family a Little More Green

Recycle

It is really as simple as calling your local sanitation department and asking them what they offer for your area as far as recycling goes. Once you have the information, sign up with the local company that handles the recycling, get a can, and make it happen. Recycling has become a lot easier in the last 20 years and it can work for just about any home and lifestyle.

Reuse

If you can reuse it, do it! Plastic bottles of water can be refilled with tap water that has been filtered, old tin cans can be used to organize office materials or craft supplies, and cardboard boxes can be reused to store toys or shoes. Find a way to keep items around rather than tossing them out.

Grow Food

If you haven’t started a garden, do it! There’s nothing greener than growing something, especially if it is your own food. You can grow potted plants of food if you live in an area without a large yard, and you can even grow hanging fruit baskets for porches and patios. There are dozens of options available these days, so try it out!

Compost

Compost your coffee grounds and fruit and vegetable leftovers to make nutrient-rich soil for your garden. It beats pesticides and chemicals and is a lot cheaper. Plus, it’s all natural and a great way to go green with wasted food.

Limit Certain Items

This doesn’t mean that you have to give up things you love, but limit the amount of water bottles you buy and use reusable glasses or drinking bottles. Don’t use paper towels, but opt for real towels and rags instead. There are many ways to cut down on items that just end up in landfills, so search your home for alternatives to those products.

Which of these do you already do? Which ones are you going to focus on next? And what tips or tricks can you add to the list?

Catherine is a self-proclaimed “organization junkie” living in Los Angeles. She blogs about family, entertainment, food and anything else that pops into her mind.

Comments

1. We are growing our own food this year!

2. Great post for earth day!

3. These are all great tips! We want to have a big garden this year!

4. A little bit really does help. Great advice.

5. We used to grow our own produce, and had chickens for our eggs, but new city living circumstances have made it more difficult. Tried recycling and then someone stole our container. But, those are all great tips.

6. Maria Oller says:

Great tips, we are trying to grow some food pepper and herbs for now

7. Helene Cohen Bludman says:

We’ve always had a small vegetable garden. I love growing at least some of the food we eat. Great post for Earth Day!

8. I have always tried to live as greenly as possible. Our town recently started a recycling program, so it got a little easier since I am not having to drive my recyclables 30 minutes away!

9. I am in the process of putting raised beds in at our new house for our veggie garden. It’s a lot of work but I can’t wait for all the fresh produce I will be getting this summer.

10. We definitely try to do all these things. Every little bit helps!

11. Our family takes many steps to be green, which is great for the planet. I love that people are trying to learn more about the environment!

12. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I need to get better about recycling. I don’t recycle nearly as much as I should be.

13. Jessica @EatSleepBe says:

I MUST get better at composting. This is my year!

14. I need to get better at recycling and I always wanted to compost… I’ll need to figure out how to do that.

15. Deanna Ritz says:

All of this is so true. I use towels instead of paper towels and reusable grocery bags instead of the plastic ones. :)

16. I love these ideas! I know my kids would love these ideas and would want to try to make our family a little “greener”

17. I really want to start recycling. I live in an apartment building and recycling isn’t offered but I’ve considered bringing recyclables to my mom’s house.

18. Ok, I’m bad about using paper towels. I admit that. I try not to do the water bottle thing too much though!

19. Lois Alter Mark says:

These are great tips that are easy to follow. They will make a huge difference!

20. Amy Desrosiers says:

I do all these small steps and think my home is pretty green.

21. We’ve given up plastic water bottles and have purchased a reusable bottle for everyone in the house (toddlers still have sippy cups). We recycle and reuse when we can. Next would be to grow something… hmm.. maybe we’ll check out the hanging strawberry planters I’ve seen!

22. Those are some great ideas for going green! Every little bit helps.

23. We love having a garden!

24. My middle son and I are growing vegetables and we recycle just about everything!

25. We try to reuse whenever we can. You can’t believe what you can save from the landfill if you are crafty.

26. Yay for growing food! That’s how we’re going to save ALL THE MONEY this year! :)

27. Lexie Lane says:

Wow! I have read all sorts of ways to stay green but I actually have not read anything about compost! You’re so right!

28. I really like your tips how you say little tips. I like the water bottle one and getting a reusable one. IT would save money as well while helping the environment.