4 Fun and Free things to do with your Family this Summer

Family time is one of the best parts about summer, but summertime fun can put a damper on your bank account. Luckily for you many places offer great summer deals (and even free events) on kid and family activities. Here are 4 fun and free things to with your family this summer that don’t cost a dime!

Fun and Free things to do with your Family this Summer

Go to a movie

Catching a flick is a great way to beat the heat and keep kids entertained on a hot summer day. And during the summer most movie theaters have summer programs that are $1 a movie or completely free. These movies are usually shown on weekday mornings, but you’ll need to check your local theater to see which G and PG rated movie is playing and the times and dates of each of the movies. You may have a hard time finding something that everyone hasn’t seen yet, but at free or almost free, it doesn’t hurt to check. Plus, community centers and local groups offer free family-friendly movies in the park after the sun goes down. You can even purchase low cost snacks or bring your own. Check your local tourist office for locations. If you’re in the Los Angeles area you can even watch a movie on the beach.

Take a hike

National parks across the country offer Free National Park days throughout the year. All you have to do is find a park that you’d like to visit, load up your family and head to that location for a day of outdoor family fun. You can also bring along some food and snacks, and have a picnic while you enjoy your day and fresh air – all for FREE!

Take a free class

Apple, Bass Pro Shops, Home Depot, Lakeshore Learning, Lowe’s, Microsoft, Pottery Barn, and so many more places offer free in-store workshops. Some of them inspire creativity through technology while others teach kids to build something they get to bring home and call their own. Take the family to the workshops, participate in the fun, and learn a few new things this summer.

Get some culture

Many museums offer interactive activities and tours for both kids and adults at no cost! Take your kids to a local museum and introduce them to a world of creativity. Many activities include painting, sculpting, and drawing. The best part is you get to spend time with your child and get a lesson in art all at once for free. If you live in the Los Angeles area or will be visiting soon, check out the California Science Center or The Getty. We also recommend the Los Angeles Police Museum. Admission is free to children 12 and younger.

What are some of your favorite free things to do with your family?

Catherine is a self-proclaimed "organization junkie" living in Los Angeles. She blogs about family, entertainment, food and anything else that pops into her mind.

Comments

1. great ideas! i am always looking for things to do for my boys that doesn’t cost $50 a pop!

2. Our city has hydrant parties in the summer time. I want to get my children to one before the summer is over!

3. Kate F. says:

I like to take my family to museums, libraries and parks. The free classes sound like fun, too.

4. Karen Glatt says:

Going to the movies and taking a hike and looking around our big park is fun to do in the summer. We have a museum that we go to, and I also like going to the library and the big Park downtown.

5. David Fultner says:

We go to the movies with kids all summer. We a Thursday day show popcorn and a drink for $5.00.

6. Dana Rodriguez says:

Those are some great ideas!I love visiting museums.

7. Claudia (@cdmtx65) says:

I found this neat website http://www.factorytoursusa.com:) and visited already a couple places on their list

8. Marti Tabora says:

Having fun in the summer can be really hard on the bank account, these are all great suggestions, especially taking hikes. Something inexpensive and good for you.

9. Cynthia R says:

We are pretty lucky to have a life & science musuem nearby, as well as children’s museums, parks, tennis courts, etc.

10. June S. says:

Some really great ideas that wont cost the whole family an arm and a leg to enjoy doing together this summer.

11. Nicole Dz says:

We enjoy our local lakes and boating for fun free things to do in the summer.

12. claudia says:

we took the kids strawberry picking earlier this summer .

13. Museums are such a great resource, and I think we all tend for forget about them when they’re in our own cities. Classes, exhibits, free days… tehy’re the best!

14. Shannon F says:

I love these ideas! Our city library also has an awesome free reading program through the summer that has been my go-to “thing to do.” They always have shows, readings, and crafts going on all throughout the summer. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

15. carol clark says:

my kids like to see things that are well have some ascept of learning they llike to learn and museums they love and doing free things like at bass pro shop he lovesw also

16. NikiDriscoll says:

These are all wonderful ideas.thank you so much for sharing them with me.

17. Pam Gurganus says:

These are some excellent ideas for free summer fun with my family! Thank you for the information. My family likes to spend time at the pool during the summer and we also utilize our local library a lot!

18. I love watching movies and hiking with the family!

19. We have a park that has a splash pad & ducks/geese that enjoy hanging out around a pond nearby.. We go there quite frequently. Thank You for some other wonderful ideas to do with my children, this summer!

20. Sarah Hirsch says:

Other fun and free things to do could include going to the beach, going to a park/playground, finding museums with free days

21. Thanks for the great ideas I really like the Get Culture idea that is a great idea.

22. susan banton says:

Free museums are good, as well as the beach.

23. These are all excellent ideas. We mainly go to the park (free except for the nature center) and movies (free since I have free passes). Thank you for sharing these ideas!

24. Jana Williams says:

I Love Spending time with my Niece & Nephews during the Summer but All they want to do is Play on the Computer or Play Video Games! When I was Little I used to Love Playing Outside or Going to the Library (I Still Love to do that!) What happened to Kids these Days? Can’t even get them to go to the Movies? Well I am Not Giving Up Yet, Maybe it’s just a Phase they will Grow out of! Thanks for your Helpful Post & I Hope it will Help Others! Have a Blessed Day & a Safe and Happy Summer! Jana

25. We live close to a few National Parks and have an annual pass so we love hiking there! State parks are a great, inexpensive option, also!

26. Deborah Gardner says:

I love these ideas, it can be so expensive to go out! Good ways to switch it up from swimming and hiking

27. Our local craft store offers free classes for kids – my girls love it!

28. Great ideas for summer! I never think about going to the state parks here until after we get back home!

29. I know it’s not technically free, but we have found buying a zoo membership to be the most reasonable thing for us. We go so much that it more than pays for itself after the 2nd visit.

30. mrsshukra says:

Excellent tips, very important to do things together as a family, thanks!