6 Fall Activities to do with Children

Fall season is in full swing, and if you’re looking for ways to make it a really special season for your little ones, check out a few of these great activities to do with your kids. They are fun for the whole family, and most are free!

Bake Themed Cupcakes

Cupcakes are always great for any occasion and making themed cupcakes can get your kids ready for Fall. Have your kids decorate each cupcake in a Fall, Halloween, or even a Thanksgiving theme and then wrap the cupcakes so that you can deliver them to loved ones or take them to a local school or nursing home to spread the cupcake cheers!

Paint Pumpkins

Purchase some small pumpkins at your grocery store and pick up some craft paint in Fall colors (think oranges, browns, blacks, reds, and greens). Use these to paint pumpkins instead of carving them, which can create a huge mess and even lead to injuries. You can paint the pumpkins anyway you choose and even add embellishments like ribbons, bows, fake mustaches, hats, and more. The possibilities are endless!

Make a Nice Fall Dinner

You will already be cooking dinner, so why not make it a warm, Fall favorite like pot-roast or chicken pot pie? Have your kids helps and tell them why such comfort foods are great for fall. As you cook the food, you can discuss the changing seasons and have your kids decorate some paper placemats with fake leaves or pictures of Fall scenes.

Jump in the Leaves

What better way to celebrate the falling leave and the changing colors that Fall offers than to get outside in nature and enjoy it all? Rake up some leaves and jump in the piles, or go hunting for leaves of certain colors, sizes and shapes to use in Fall crafts.

Visit a Corn Maze

Corn mazes pop up everywhere in the Fall, and some even offer cider and snacks to enjoy as you go along thorough the maze, but if they don’t you can always bring your own. Get your kids in the Fall spirit by taking them to one!

Fall Photo Shoot

Anytime is a great time to take pictures of your little ones, right? Well, get them out in the gorgeous scenery and lighting of Fall and snap away! Fall photos are a great way to show off that Fall wardrobe and take some memorable pictures of your babies.

Catherine is a self-proclaimed "organization junkie" living in Los Angeles. She blogs about family, entertainment, food and anything else that pops into her mind.

Comments

1. We visted a corn maze for the first time this last year. It was fun. I know our boys would love it.

2. MaryJo Tsitouris says:

My son and I have already made chicken and dumplings this Fall. It was so cute when I give him the seasoning and told him to put a dash or two in the crockpot. His concentration on getting it just right was so cute! It made him feel so important! Love him!

3. Oohhhhh, the days when you didn’t have to work every single day.

4. Still haven’t visited a corn a maze, but will next year.

5. Maria Iemma says:

My grand kids are visiting this weekend and I appreciate the tips on how to keep them entertained.

6. Karen Hand says:

Great tips! I had completely forgotten about corn mazes. I’ve never had an opportunity to visit one, but since you bring it up again, I am going to check into it. I think it would be loads of fun. Thank you.

7. Vanessa Plummer says:

Always looking for something to do w the kiddos, especially baking w my 6 yr old daughter. My son loves it too :) thanks for the post and for all that you do!

8. I’ve never been to a corn maze. I have no sense of direction and have gotten lost walking in and out of a building. I would be hopelessly lost wandering around.

9. carl forrester says:

I love to take pictures with my kids in the fall

10. Thanks for the great ideas! I babysit a lot, and the kiddos would love these:)

11. Dorothy Boucher says:

these are very helpful tips and ideas, I know for my family we enjoy going apple picking and playing board games :) sometimes we get silly and pretend that we can actually sing and dance loll Thanks for share :) @tisonlyme143

12. Andrea Slagle says:

These things sound like so much fun! I can’t wait until my nieces and son (currently pregnant) are old enough to do these things with them!

13. These are good ideas. I wish that I had someone here to rake the leaves. The way the weathers been. we haven’t had a chance to start. Heck, I’d let them rake and jump in the first pile.

14. We have a couple of corn mazes and pumpkin patches that are fun to go to.

15. My niece and nephew would love to bake the cupcakes.

16. brittani adams says:

Great ideas! I took my kid apple picking last month and he got to play in a maze there. I can’t wait to set up an autumn photo shoot!

17. Jennifer Hiles says:

It snowed so early here that we completely missed all the fun fall activities we love to do. I really wanted to take my daughter to a corn maze and jump in leaves but it just rained and rained and then snowed! Hopefully we’ll get to do some of these activities next year :)

18. Corn Mazes are a favorite of our family!

19. ellen beck says:

Ahhh a ttad past fall here but we jumped in the leaves- we do every year. No matter how old you are take a jump!

20. angelia medlin says:

I have two boys therefore I am always looking for ideas to keep them busy and having fun. I like apple picking and doing other outdoor activities with them. However, my 4 year old has recently begun to enjoy baking items and helping out in the kitchen, which I try to make it a fun activity. THanks for the ideas to use with my boys.

21. These are all great fun! I miss when my nieces and nephews were little and I could do this more often and enjoy it through the excitement of a child!