Homemade Buffalo Chicken Chimichangas are easy to make, taste delicious, and will soon become a family favorite!
Whenever I go to one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants, I order chimichangas, no matter what’s new on the menu. In case you don’t know, a chimichanga is a tortilla that is filled with your favorite stuffings, usually beans, cheese, rice, and meat. It is then wrapped and secured, then deep fried to perfection.
I have come up with the perfect chimichanga recipe. The next time you are craving chimichangas along with something that is quick and easy, try these Buffalo Chicken Chimichangas.
All of the ingredients can be prepped ahead of time for quick cooking. For this recipe, I used rotisserie chicken. If you do not have one, you can use whatever cooked chicken you have. These chimichangas are hearty and filling by themselves, but if you would like to serve them with a side, Chipotle copycat cilantro lime rice or beans would be perfect.
Buffalo Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Frank’s RedHot® Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 4 ounces Chopped Green Chiles, drained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Blend or Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream for topping
- Green onions for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce, and buffalo sauce. Mix well to thoroughly coat the chicken.
2. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the mixture to marinate.
3. Heat tortillas slightly to make them pliable.
4. Stir in the green chiles to chicken mixture.
5. Place the tortillas on a work surface. Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas. Do not overfill. Sprinkle with cheese and fold up tightly burrito style. Repeat with each tortilla until done.
6. Heat oil in a large stockpot or deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fry 1 at a time seam side down until golden brown on all sides.
7. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining chimichangas.
8. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with sour cream, hot sauce, and desired toppings and serve immediately.
Buffalo Chicken Chimichangas Tips
- Do not deep fry these too far in advance, because the longer the chimichangas sit, they do tend to get a little mushy.
- To bake instead of frying, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush all rolled chimichangas with a little olive oil or spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Broil to get your desired crispiness.
- Store chimichangas in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- To reheat bake in a 350 degree oven until heated through, about 8-10 minutes.