I LOVE churros. Who doesn’t love a fried doughnut dipped with cinnamon sugar? Tell me you love the warm, crispy, cinnamony, sugary goodness of a churro as much as I do. Because if so, you are going to love these Churro Cupcakes. While these cupcakes aren’t fried like the ever so popular churro, they are a dessert worth indulging in every once in awhile.
Does that not look scrumptious? Whip up a batch to celebrate Cinco de Mayo by following the recipe below!
For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
6 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
For the Frosting:
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup sweet cream, softened
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the yogurt and sugar together on low until well combined and texture is smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium until combined. Then stir in the vanilla.
4. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each. Do not over mix.
5. Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners, filling ⅔ of the way high. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick placed in center comes out clean.
6. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes.
7. In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted.
8. In another small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of fine grain sugar and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon.
9. When the cupcakes are completely cooled, brush melted butter on the tops of each cupcake and then dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Be sure to coat the entire top of each cupcake.
10. Frost each cupcake with cinnamon frosting recipe below.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sweet cream and confectioners sugar until the texture is like small pebbles.
2. Add heavy cream. Mix in the heavy cream until thoroughly combined and desired consistency is reached. You’ve reached the right consistency when frosting can stand while forming stiff peaks. If not, mix in additional powdered sugar until it does.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and mix well.
4. Fill a pastry bag with frosting. Using a large tip frost your cupcakes.
5. Mix 2 tablespoon of cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Then sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top of frosted cupcakes and enjoy.
Churro Cupcakes Tips
- Place sugar in your food processor to make a fine grain sugar.
- Top with a drizzle of Dulce De Leche if desired.
- These will last for about a week in the refrigerator.
What special treats are you making for Cinco de Mayo this year?