Cilantro Lime Rice is a quick and easy side dish that pairs perfectly with Mexican food.
Are you looking for a new Mexican side dish? This Cilantro Lime Rice recipe is perfect. It’s loaded with the great flavors of not only cilantro and lime but garlic and onion as well. It a great alternative to Spanish rice. This would pair beautifully with grilled chicken that has been seasoned with Mexican spices, such as cumin, chili powder, and cayenne.
Imagine a bed of this rice, topped with flavorful grilled chicken and then covered in chopped mango and pineapple mixed with a bit of onion and jalapenos. Is your mouth watering yet? This rice would also be good topped with carne asada. Truthfully, this rice would be good with just about any grilled meat, even fish.
If you’re tired of the same old thing, try this recipe. It’s loaded with flavor and sure to be a hit with anyone that loves cilantro. And, if for some reason you have leftovers, spread the rice out over a plate and cover with a damp paper towel before heating. The rice will heat up without being chewy or hard. This makes it perfect for those that love to cook once and eat twice. Just make sure you make enough to last for more than one day.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups water
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
2. Add the uncooked rice and spread evenly. Stir occasionally, until the rice has started to brown.
3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and let simmer until rice has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, uncover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork.
7. Transfer the rice to a serving bowl. Stir in lime juice, and cilantro. Add lime zest (if desired).
8. Serve warm.
- Basmati or any long grain rice would work as well if you don’t have Jasmine rice.
- Rinse the rice before adding it to your pot.
- Adjust the cilantro to taste.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.