These Classic Lemon Bars are the perfect spring or summer dessert!
If there’s one thing I love its lemon meringue pie but when my sweet tooth flares up the last thing I want to do is have to take the time to make a pie from scratch. A lovely, sweet substitute for my favorite pie is these delicious Lemon Bars. They are a cinch to make and really hit the spot when I need a yummy substitute for my pie craving!
If you’re a lemon lover, these lusciously creamy bars are a must! They are the perfect combination of sweet, tart, and lemony goodness, just how lemon bars should be! You won’t believe how easy to make they are, too!
So how do you make these quick and easy Classic Lemon Bars? They are made with super simple ingredients, you probably already have. Plus no fancy kitchen equipment is needed. So easy, right?!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 X 13 baking dish with parchment paper on the bottom and up the sides. Leaving an overhang on the sides will make for easy removal.
2. To make the crust, whisk together the butter, 2 cups of flour, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a medium bowl until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, and bake for 15 minutes or lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool while you make the filling.
3. To make the filling, whisk together 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup flour, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large bowl until very smooth. Set aside.
4. Pour the filling over the warm crust and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the filling has set. Remove from the oven and let the bars cool in the pan on a wire rack for 1 hour.
5. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. The bars will firm up as they cool.
6. Once cool, lift out of the pan using the parchment paper and cut into squares. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Use a long sharp knife for neat edges when cutting into squares
- Wipe the knife clean between each cut for neat squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- To freeze, place the cooled bars (without powdered sugar) on a baking sheet in a single layer a couple of inches apart and freeze for about 2 hours. Then wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap and place them in a resealable freezer bag or airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, then dust with powdered sugar before serving.