Who doesn’t love a delicious pound cake recipe?! I sure do, especially a lemon one. The first time I tried a lemon pound cake recipe I was worried that it would be too lemony, but boy was I proved wrong. Not only was it delicious, but it was one of the moistest pound cakes I have ever made. So, when it was time to take a trip into my lab, aka my kitchen, to conjure up a recipe that resembled my mini lemon pound cake recipe, one hour later, out came my Lemon Pound Cake Muffins.
I decided to go with muffins instead of a cake for several different reasons. The first is that when baking in a muffin pan, I have found I get a more even cooking, which is what was needed to make this moist. The second reason was for proportions. I know I am not the only one who would sit down and enjoy the whole thing in one sitting. The final reasons were for lunches. School will be starting back soon and all the kids will love seeing a Lemon Pound Cake Muffin sitting in their lunch box for dessert.
These Lemon Pound Cake Muffins are so easy to make! Just follow these simple directions and let’s get to baking.
Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose or gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package of lemon pudding
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose or gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a standard size muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, lemon extract, sugar, egg, milk, sour cream and lemon zest. Mix well with a spoon (do not use a mixer). Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups you have lined with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients until it forms a coarse crumble.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon streusel topping on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before removing from pan onto a wire rack. Serve warm and enjoy!
Lemon Pound Cake Muffins Tips
- Take these muffins to the next level by combining 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for a delicious glaze. Drizzle over muffins.
- You can prepare this recipe in a mini pound cake pan instead of muffin pan.
- Muffins will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days. They will last for up to 1 week stored covered in the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoyed my Lemon Pound Cake Muffins as much as my family and I do. Check out all of my recipes for even more tastiness. If you make this recipe, make sure to share it with me on Facebook or Twitter.