Summer is almost here and if this spring weather is any indication of what’s to come this summer, it is going to a scorcher! Even with the air conditioners cranked up it seems like we can never really escape the heat that has invaded our lives. To think, we were in such a hurry for winter to end and summer to begin and now we can’t escape the muggy, heat! One way I’ve taken to beating the heat in the evenings is with one of my favorite drinks, Strawberry Basil Mojitos!
This recipe for Strawberry Basil Mojitos is a super simple and delicious way to cool off and chill on a hot summer day. What better way to quench your thirst on a hot day than with a refreshing Mojito?
Strawberry Basil Mojitos
2 limes, cut into quarters
12 fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
4-6 fresh basil leaves
6-8 fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1½ cups–2 cups coconut rum, depending on how strong you want it
8 cups club soda
Extra strawberries and mint, for garnish, optional
1. Squeeze the juice of the limes into the pitcher, and set aside. Add the basil leaves, mint leaves, strawberries, lemon peel, and sugar to the pitcher. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Using a muddler or a wooden spoon gently mash in the bottom of the pitcher to release the juice and flavors.
3. Add the limes, and rum and mix well. Then add in the ice and the club soda and gently stir until combined.
4. If serving immediately, pour into glasses and garnish with a fresh lime wedge and a sprig of mint. If not, skip the ice and chill pitcher in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Strawberry Basil Mojitos Tips
- Do not wash and prepare the strawberries until ready to use.
- Flavor gets stronger as the pitcher of Strawberry Basil Mojitos sits in the refrigerator. If you don’t drink within an hour, strain through a cheesecloth to remove citrus peel and add to a pitcher. Be sure to drink within 24 hours. May become bitter if kept any longer.
- Use white rum instead of coconut rum.